September 21, 2021
Week of September 12-18
GenesisHR’s new website was launched last week. I spent the past five months working on this project. As I have mentioned in previous weeknotes, this was the first project that I incorporated the Gutenberg editor. I built several custom blocks using Advanced Custom Fields. I plan to write a stand-alone post about the site development and about my first experiences with Gutenberg in the near future.
We welcomed our newest teammate, Maggie to the team this past week. She previously worked with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation where she was a client of LGND. She worked on the Sharing Solutions project that I built the site for two years ago. We also share the same anniversary date. I had a virtual coffee with Maggie at the end of the week and look forward to working with her in the near future.
Happy Birthday LGND
The company I work for, LGND, celebrated a milestone at the end of the last week. LGND is now 5 years old. I have worked with them for 4 of those years, both as a contractor and as a full-time employee. I wrote a post on Friday to celebrate where I reflected on 8 of my favorite projects that I have done with the team.
Other Highlights from the Week
- I published a case study of the Resolve to Save Lives: Epidemics That Didn’t Happen project on the LGND site on Friday.
- I worked on adding content in Spanish and French on the Canadian Embassy in Mexico website that I began work on at the end of August.
- I had my final two buddy brunches with Briana as I helped with her onboarding experience.
Reading: Online Articles and Videos
- On the <dl> – Some great solutions using the description list element. I need to use this element more often.
- Element Diversity – Challenge to use elements other than the
div. I took it as a personal challenge to review all the HTML elements and try to choose the right tool for the job.
- HTML is Not A Programming Language? – Thoughtful contribution to the subject.
- Less Positioning with Modern CSS – I have used CSS Grid to eliminate many of the solutions that I would have done with positioning in the past. I used it on one project with tabbed content to prevent layout shifts caused by different heights on the content containers.
- CSS Container Query Units – A great introduction to the subject.
- Why We Loved Gilbert Blythe – I was saddened to hear of the death of actor Jonathan Crombie, who played Gilbert Blythe CBC’s adaptation of Anne of Green Gables. I remember being home from college and my parents and sister were watching it. I sat down and was enthralled with it. I introduced my wife to it and later our kids. I really liked the story and liked Crombie’s portrayal of Gilbert.
- Learning in the Open – Some great thoughts from Michelle Barker. I need to make an application on this with ScrollTrigger. I have been watching tutorials on Creative Coding Club and need to take the next step and build something.
- Goldman Sachs Launches 10,000 Small Businesses Fellows Program – A great idea helping small business owners and students at community colleges.
- Licensed to Kill: A Field Manual for Mortifying Sin – I read through this short book last week. I want to reread it and chew on it some more. I need to think about and be reminded about the seriousness of sin more often.
- Manifest (Netflix)
- Inspector Lewis (Prime Masterpiece Subscription)
- What If? (Disney+)
- Knives Out (Prime) – I enjoyed this one with my son on Saturday.
- Chiefs vs. Browns – I watched the first and fourth quarter of this game. I met with my small group in between. I enjoyed seeing the Chiefs come back to win their home opener.
- FIFA20 (Rangers of Scottish Premier League)
- MLB The Show 20 – I played a couple of single games with the Rays over the weekend. I had played through a whole season with this team from November to May. I really enjoyed playing with them again and enjoyed the game after taking a break for several weeks.