October 24, 2023
Week of October 15–21
There is not a lot to talk about from this past week. (I had more to say than I originally thought.)
Work continues to be slow as several projects wrapped up and new projects are just in the beginning phases and will not hit development until near the end of next month.
I have struggled to take advantage of this downtime. There is not anything particular that I have just been itching to learn. I have several different self-paced courses that I have taken over the past three or four years, but few of them excited me to where I wanted to try to pick them back up.
I had entertained the idea of signing up for Frontend Mentor so that I could build out their challenges. It would be a chance to keep the tools sharpened until it was time to engage in project work again. I’m just not convinced that that would be the wisest use of my financial resources right now and in the long term.
I need to find a creative challenge that will keep me engaged and scratch my itch.
Back in August, I shared my grief over the loss of what Twitter once was. I still visit X because I want to feel connected to others in the Web community or Christian community or keep up with my sports teams. I still keep coming back though I feel that it is a dying platform. But still, there are a lot of people and groups that are posting there so it is hard to abandon entirely.
I have also debated on whether or not I want to invest in a new platform. I did get an invite to Bluesky but never signed up. I have flirted with the idea of joining Mastodon but was not able to join the server that I wanted to (frontend.social) and was sure I would be disappointed in how it was like Twitter (in better days) but not quite.
I finally did sign up for a Mastodon account a couple of weeks ago. I still have yet to post to my account. I found several in the Web community that I enjoyed connecting with on Twitter in the past but there are still many who are not there or still only on X.
I enjoyed reading Ana Rodrigues’ post, Could it be that maybe LinkedIn was the answer after all? If so, I lost the game, which I linked to from my feed in Mastodon. I have found my main source of connection through LinkedIn these days but it still is not the same.
I still don’t have any answers or know what I am going to do about social media. I just know that I miss the connections I once had and have not quite found an experience that replicates it yet. I am guessing it may never exist.
I am glad that I finally connecting to a community at the church we started attending over a year ago. It has been an answer to prayer. Now I just need to be more intentional in reconnecting with friends that require a phone call or video chat.
Articles I read
- Decision time (Jeremy Keith)
- Questions for Conversation (Chris Coyier)
- The Mission Field We Don’t Think About (The Gospel Coalition)
- Get Outside (Veerle Pieters) – I have been trying to get outside more and walk around my neighborhood daily.
- Could it be that maybe LinkedIn was the answer after all? If so, I lost the game. (Ana Rodrigues)
- 6 Ways to Hire More Women in Tech
- How To Animate Along A Path In CSS (Smashing Magazine) – The solution was not quite what I expected. I was expecting an SVG solution but this one used a conic gradient on the background property.
- Prodding Firefox to Update :has() Selection (Eric Meyer) – I wish Firefox would implement the
- Employee Engagement Strategies During Uncertainty (Viget)
- Whatever Happened to Satan? (Trevin Wax)
- Trust the Lord in Your Marriage
- Why Kim Ng left the Marlins — and what could come next
- Kim Ng was a reluctant trailblazer. Her Marlins exit makes her even more impressive
- Jesse Palmer’s unlikely journey from Canadian QB to American TV star on ‘The Bachelor’
- D-Backs’ decision to pull Brandon Pfaadt triggers reliever’s Rays ‘scars.’ But this time, the ’pen prevailed
Books I am reading
- The God Who Gives
- Think Again
- Making It So – I spent most of my reading time on this one last week and finished it on Saturday.
What I watched
- For the Love of the Game (Prime)
- Rudy (DVD)
- Annika (PBS)
- The Great British Baking Show – Collection 11 (Netflix)
- Star Wars: Rebels (Disney+)
- Bluey (Disney+)
- Project Runway 2005 – Season 2 (Prime)
- Loki (Disney+)
- The Saint of Second Chances (Netflix)
- Old Dads (Netflix)
What I played
MLB The Show 23 (Rays) – I went 1-3 this week, breaking a 4-game losing streak with a win in the last game I played on Saturday.