May 7, 2023
Week of April 23–29 and April 30–May 6
- My mother-in-law went into the hospital on April 24 and moved to a rehab facility at the end of this week. This caused a disruption in our lives as my wife spent a large chunk of each day at the hospital with her mom. Life has not been normal and it has been a challenge to stay focused at work.
- After performing in The Gondoliers the weekend before, my daughter had two ballet recitals last weekend. It was a long day on Saturday as they rehearsed earlier in the day before performing. I admired how she met the challenge in the midst of being sick and after an intense four days of performances just the week before. I absolutely love watching her perform.
- Two weeks ago, I created a resource page for NAPEO to help promote National PEO Week, which is happening at the end of May.
- The Principal Media interactive film catalog project launched on April 26. I have been working on this project since the end of April. I am very happy with how this project turned out.
- I worked on another new project this week. I built a one-page site promoting the expansion of a successful small business training program to rural communities and predominantly rural states. The project had a quick turnaround and will launch in the coming week. This is the third micro-site of this type that I have built for this client.
- I tried out using GSAP’s ScrollSmoother as I was adding animations to that new project. My main purpose in using ScrollSmoother was to have images animating at different speeds. I liked how that turned out. But I ran into an issue with the anchor links not working correctly. I tried a couple of things to try to solve it but with no success. In the end, I decided to abandon using ScrollSmoother and did some simple fade-in and up animations on the images.
- I was not completely happy with the animation work after I “finished” it on Thursday. I ended up revisiting it on Friday and was much happier with it after polishing some elements. I spent the majority of the time polishing up the hero animations, which are the first things you encounter when you visit the site. One of my teammates gave me some really helpful feedback and I enjoyed that process of refining. I was much happier with the final solution after taking some more time on Friday to work on it. I am glad that I had the space to come up with a solution that was more satisfying.
Articles I have read
- Mastodon Is Doomed
- A Good Use Case for Container Queries in CSS: A Weekly Events Calendar (Chris Coyier)
- How J. K. Rowling Played, then Lost, the Polarization Game
- Stop calling faithfulness a sacrifice – I resonated with this one.
- Remote (Jeremy Keith)
- Workaround (Jeremy Keith)
- Assumption (Jeremy Keith)
- With 3 Words, Microsoft’s CEO Showed That You Can Lay Off 10,000 People With Empathy (Inc Magazine)
- Vibe Check ?26 (Dave Rupert)
- George Verwer—Global Statesman, Evangelist, and Hero of the Faith—Now with Jesus – I heard George Verwer speak at many conferences in the 1990s
- Beyond Perfect
- Let Him Do What Seems Good To Him – I read this just after I read this text in my Bible reading plan.
- Why Chatbots Are Not the Future
- Midlife and the Striver’s Curse
- Innovation (Jeremy Keith)
- Hey Christian Schools Leader: You’re About to Be Outed.
Books I am reading
- Ten Words to Live By
- The Creative Act – A teammate mentioned this one a couple of weeks ago and it has been on my radar. I was able to borrow a copy from my local library. It did not grab me right away and I almost decided to not read any further. But then I picked it up again and it began to interest me more.
- Tearing Us Apart: How Abortion Harms Everything and Solves Nothing
What I watched
- Full Swing (Netflix)
- Bad Batch Season 1 (Disney+) – We decided to rewatch these after watching Season 2 and then rewatching the final season of The Clone Wars
- Tron (Disney+)
- Tron: Legacy (Disney+)
- Spider-man: No Way Home (Digital)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (Disney+)
- Ant-man and the Wasp (Disney+)
- The Diplomat (Netflix) – I made it through 3 episodes but wasn’t interested enough to continue.
- The Last Days (Netflix) – A documentary about five Hungarian Jews who survived the Holocaust.
- Visions 2 (Disney+)
- Star Wars: Rebels (Disney+)
- The Amazing Spider-man (Disney+)