June 29, 2023
Week of June 18–24
I started the week by taking some PTO to add to the holiday on Monday. I have been working intensely on the new LGND site and I needed a breather. I also wanted to have the space to spend time with my oldest daughter who spent the week with us. She moved to Nashville last summer so we don’t get to see her as often as we like.
- I ate lunch with my son on Monday. He is working an internship at a local design company about 10 minutes from our house. It was fun to hang out and talk about each other’s creative work.
- I played several games of MLB The Show 21.
- I read several articles and made progress in several books.
- My daughter and I went out to lunch and had a good conversation on the same day we went for custard treats after dinner.
- It was nice to step away from the work for a couple of days.
Back to work – Into the frying pan
I had to navigate several difficult conversations once I got back to work on Thursday. It all worked out in the end but was emotionally and physically draining. It was a situation where I had the opportunity to step up and take leadership on a project. I embraced the role on Friday and set a plan in motion.
I am grateful for the support I received from several teammates and from members of my family. They gave me the time and space to listen while I verbally processed and gave me some advice on how to best proceed.
I am happy with how I responded to the situation. I was slow to speak and was strategic with the words that I did use. I acted with character and tact and have no regrets. I am grateful for this growth opportunity. Others appreciated that I stepped forward and lived out our team values by taking the initiative where I saw the need.
Articles I read
- All the Compassions of All the Tender Fathers
- Cancelling Hillsong Music: The New Purity Culture
- Unusual Things You’re Allowed to Do (Chris Guillebeau)
- The five types of people who produce inaccessible code (Eric Bailey)
- If You Care About Spiritual Abuse, Watch Your Language (The Gospel Coalition)
- Appeal for Religious Liberty to a Culture Embracing Pride Month (The Gospel Coalition)
- The New CSS (Matthias Ott) – More thoughts on CSS generated from CSS Day conference.
- Humility: An Essential Value (A List Apart) – I would not recommend this article. It was not well structured and I did not get any value out of it.
- Toe the Government Line or Lose Your Kids (Carl Trueman)
- ‘Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall’ Is No Longer a Fairy Tale (Trevin Wax)
- C. S. Lewis and the Cautionary Tale of Nikabrik (Trevin Wax)
- No, ‘AI’ Will Not Fix Accessibility
- Restful Blissful Ignorance
- What Would You Tell Your Younger Self?
- The Power of Reflection
- Reducing Complexity in Front End Development (Michelle Barker)
Books I am reading
- The Creative Act
- True to His Word
- Engineering Management for the Rest of Us
- Design is Storytelling
- Invitation to the Jesus Life
What I watched
- Barbeque Showdown Season 1 (Netflix)
- Operation Finale (Netflix)
- Break Point (Netflix)
- M*A*S*H (MeTV)
- The Andy Griffith Show (MeTV)
- American Pickers (Defy)
What I played
- MLB The Show 21 (Rays) – I went 3-4 this week. I played several games during my time off at the beginning of the week. I ended the week on a high note with a win on Saturday after losing three straight. I hope to build a winning streak this coming week and get back over .500.